Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Oh, the Places You'll Go!


I have a secret. I bet you won't guess, Dr. Seuss is truly the best!

This weekend I went home to South Jordan and like every other weekend I go home, my sisters wanted to make a shopping trip to Target. Now, if you know me, you know I love bargain shopping. Superficial, I know. : ) And sometimes I get a little too excited when I walk into Target and immediately there to greet me is the infamous dollar section.As you can imagine I sometimes make some purchases that are clearly not necessary, but you never know when you will need a new apple kitchen timer or jacket door hanger! Well, this trip turned out to be quite a success when I found the cutest Dr. Seuss pins that you pin on your backpack. I immediately knew this was a worthwhile purchase. {After all, it was only one dollar for six pins!} Which brings me to my point....I LOVE Dr. Seuss books. Yes it's true. I'm a 20-something girl that loves Dr. Seuss books more as an adult then I did as a child. Weird. Last semester my friend and roommate Katie, who is an ELED major, and I were having a couple less then ideal days and thought a good children's book would help reduce some stress. So we read 'Oh, the Places You'll Go.' I just want to say how amazingly deep this book is! I love it! How many of us as adults take the time to sit and read a good children's book before a test or busy day? Certainly no one I know, but I think you should because we were laughing and smiling the entire time we read that book together. I think I had a pretty awesome day after reading it too. : )

In case you had forgotten how awesome Dr. Seuss is here is a sample...and Oh, the Places You'll Go!

"Congratulations!
Today is your day.
You're off to Great Places!
You're off and away!

You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself
any direction you choose.
You're on your own. And you know what you know.
And YOU are the guy who'll decide where to go.

You'll look up and down streets. Look 'em over with care.
About some you will say, "I don't choose to go there."
With your head full of brains and your shoes full of feet,
you're too smart to go down any not-so-good street.....


But on you will go
though the weather be foul.
On you will go
though your enemies prowl.
On you will go
though the Hakken-Kraks howl.
Onward up many
a frightening creek,
though your arms may get sore
and your sneakers may leak.

On and on you will hike,
And I know you'll hike far
and face up to your problems
whatever they are.

You'll get mixed up, of course,
as you already know.
You'll get mixed up
with many strange birds as you go.
So be sure when you step.
Step with care and great tact
and remember that Life's
a Great Balancing Act.
Just never foget to be dexterous and deft.
And never mix up your right foot with your left.

And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)

KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!

So...
be your name Buxbaum or Bixby or Bray
or Mordecai Ali Van Allen O'Shea,
You're off the Great Places!
Today is your day!
Your mountain is waiting.
So...get on your way!"

No comments: